HI MIke,

I dabbled in this briefly when I got my first 4x5. I did it a few times, semi-successfully, but didn't keep on with it. Here's what I remember;

1) I think a small maglite will have too narrow a beam. Try a regular 25 watt incandescent bulb with a shade on it first. Make sure you have enough electrical cord do you can move all the way around the subject without pulling the camera over.

2) I used f/11 and left the shutter open, just using the lens cap to cover/uncover the lens, It was a bit easier than trying to fumble with shutter in the dark.

3) Its going to take a bit of trial and error to get the technique down, so I would suggest starting with 4x5 and contact print them on enlarging paper before you start burning up Azo. Plan on burning several sheets of film before you get it as you want.

4) Keep the light moving at a steady rate and try to cover the subject evenly.

After a couple or 3 times, you'll start getting the hang of it. But like I said, practice with an inexpensive set-up before you jump into azo or pt/pd.

Oh yeah, film speed - the article I read suggested APX 100 which is no longer available in sheets. I think you want a film speed around 100. Tri-X or HP5 may be a little too sensitive.

Its fun stuff. Maybe one of these days I will do it again. A friend used to a have a black 1957 Cadillac that I thought about doing, going all the way around the car. Never got to do it though but it was a pleasant thought.

Have Fun!