Quote Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
I've noticed that a couple of the big camera stores seem to always close on Friday nights through Saturday. I think that if they're shutting their doors at those times it's likely the store is owned by conservative Jewish people. Sabbath starts Friday at Sunset and goes through Saturday. FYI, if they are conservative they cannot just hire some non Jews to run their store on Saturday. It would be a violation of their religion's view on conducting business on a holy day. There are actually some pretty big communities of really conservative Hasidim in NYC and the surrounding area. When I worked there they took the no exchanging $$$ on the Sabbath thing VERY seriously. It's an inconvenience their being closed on certain days, but we can hardly blame them for actually following the rules of their religion. It's no different than some places not allowing liquor stores to open till noon on Sunday if at all. Not everyone lives in a 24/7 all access world. Some people feel they have religious traditions they must still abide by.
Essentially correct. Orthodox Jews take the restrictions on doing business on the Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown) very seriously. Also, most Jewish holidays (not all holidays have a restriction against working). And since the holidays begin at sundown, you need to give your employees time to get home by sundown. So, for example, B&H closes at 2pm on Friday.

Conservative Jews (less observant that Orthodox) and Reform Jews (less observant than Conservative) are less restrictive. So, for example, Orthodox Jews may refrain from work the entire holiday, but Conservative Jews just the first day or two.

I assume the website can stay up since as long as it's not taking orders it's passive. I would guess that if there was a problem with the website, repairs would not start until after Sabbath.

Perhaps more than you wanted to know.