Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
But (in a worse case scenario) your entire scene is affected by the filter... If you do not like that, use less polarizer.

You are quite right. I don't want the whole thing to go dark, and it's quite possible that I did just underexpose a little, like by 2 tenths of a stop. Which might be enough to make a difference in that fading afternoon type of light. But for future attempts, how do you mean use less?
The result (even if the overall appearance of the resulting image is not too dark) is a dull, flat looking image.[QUOTE]
Thing is, I want to take out the kind of highlights that make an outdoor image look 'normal', because I'm aiming for a look which conjures up the kind of light you might only see in a weird dream, if that makes sense. These are art photographs I'm taking, I'm not a landscape photographer, but I use the outdoors as a 'set' for staged photographs I guess along the lines of Jeff Wall for want of a better reference. So I'm not too worried if I get a weirdly 'flat' light, but I don't want thin, crappy colours that are muddy and bland either.
(And I am phobic about post-production techniques, although I have that option for achieving the right light, but I'd way prefer to get it on film not through a computer.Hmph.)
I certainly don't want it to look underexposed! Maybe there is another filter option I don't know about which would be better for my type of look? I like what polarizer does to the sky, but not much else so far. Like you say, what's happening to the grass/earth/skin, they're just going to be flattened if I take it too dark.
Hmmm.