Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
Well, yes and no.
In this case, the urge that is extremely difficult to avoid running into isn't a photographic one. (Just like my point about urges wasn't restricted to photographic ones).
You're absolutely right about the willy-nilly posting of photos. Very 'restrained' behaviour here, much worse in other places.

It generally is very hard to avoid the incessant stream of 'creations' without becoming a recluse, locking yourself up in a cell without any contact with the world outside. And i don't believe we would or should want to.
Yet, keeping ourselves 'open' to whatever our fellow human beings do and produce, i (at least) can't help noticing that the vast majority of 'creative products' aren't worth the time it takes to even acknowledge they exist (and that includes my own). They may be important, as a 'release of creative tension', the giving in to an urge, an itch you have to scratch. But that doesn't necessarily make them worth anything to anyone else. And only very few are.
But still, Max, they are almost all 'thrust upon us'.
Q.G. , yes, I do agree with your feelings but that's the beauty of the internet. Lots is "thrust upon us" and the only way to avoid it is to either disconnect or limit the places/people one is in contact with. You know..ignore buttons, visiting APUG once a week instead of 50 times per day, etc. Lots of garbage out there and there is no doubt about that but, if I don't feel like looking at it/reading about it, I just don't click on galleries, links, flickr, etc. Hey, I'm sick of bad news..I go on CNN once every 2-3 days..when I'm on vacation..I leave my iPhone home. There are steps we can take to limit the barrage of crap of all sorts that we are thrown at every day. And, yes, we can also limit the amount of garbage we all put out there...then again, someone's garbage may be someone else's gold

Best,

Max