Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
Thanks guys, I'm not asking about what to carry it in when I'm shooting, that I think would be a backpack or buggy of some sort. But rather just to protect it around the house, in and out of the car and while traveling.
Around the house and transporting my 7x17 or 8x10 I keep them mounted on Ries tripods. To protect the cameras from bumps and the daily accumulation of dust I wrap the camera in a simple bath towel. When traveling I lay either or both camera-tripods out in a Toyota Highlander SUV. If carrying one camera the baby jogger goes in back with the camera and tripod. If two cameras I have a 2x4’ metal carrier that plugs into the trailer hitch. That carries the jogger when the SUV is full. Following is text from the LF Forum. The whole thread might be of interest at.
http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=jogger
Re: Large format carrying stroller
Some very interesting ideas have been posted. I am 70 years old and have been using this baby jogger for five years. http://babyjogger.com/perf_jogger_lp.aspx. I use it for 8x10 and 7x17 cameras with Ries tripods. Most of the time I use it for following the towpath while photographing the OH & Erie Canal. I have also used it in cities and across open fields, not cliffs nor stairs.

Low center of gravity and a place to store film holders was mentioned. Note this baby jogger has two rails going between the front and rear axles. The rails are long enough to hold seven 7x17 film holders in a nylon bag. Alternatively I carry 8x10 film holders in a cheap Walmart bag bungied to these rails. I have not had a tipping problem. This may be because of the low center of gravity, the wide track of the rear wheels, or that I do not drink and drive.

I found a cooler bag that is about a one foot cube with 1/2 inch padded walls, top and bottom. This is my “stuff” bag. Inside are five lenses on boards in open zip lock bags, meter, 9” level, loupe, tools, stop watch and dark cloth. This bag rests in the seat.

For several posters carrying a tripod has been a problem. I mount either RH Phillips camera folded flat on a Ries head on a Ries tripod with the spikes extended. The jogger has a foot pad into which I have drilled two ¼” holes for the spikes. The camera is bungy corded to the top of the “stuff” bag for padding and hooked to the shock absorbers. The two holes are the only modification I have made.

I hike 8-12 miles a week with my two Labrador Retrievers. This has conditioned me so that I can easily walk the jogger two miles out and two back with all the gear. There are things beyond 50 feet-yards from the car that I feel are worth photographing. Beyond that I can usually find a parking place closer. I drive a Toyota Highlander or midsize all wheel drive SUV. I transport the camera mounted on the tripod on one side of the back floor, the collapsed jogger on the other. For long trips I have a steel 2x4 foot basket that plugs into the trailer hitch. I can carry the jogger in this and both cameras on tripods in the car.

I think Jerold makes two very good points here. “Also, it keeps your gear in front of you where you can see it so I like that if I am in crowds. If you are setting up in crowded areas, it allows you to seal off an area around your tripod and nobody is tempted to step over it like a backpack on the ground.”

I chose the jogger vs. the bike trailer because I see more at walking speed than I do at bike speed.

John Powers