I host several sites and am some what of a computer dork. Only somewhat though. Just to put that out there.

I use Wordpress for the blog I share with my brother. It's good at what it does. I've never really looked into using it to do portfolio type stuff; a listing of appropriate plugins might be nice to put in here. It is *somewhat* user friendly once you get it up and running; it's certainly gotten a *lot* better in the last couple years in this respect. That being said, when something goes wrong, be prepared to futz with permissions, .htaccess files, broken php, etc. Then again, I've been using it for over 6 years, so our site has gone through a lot of versions of Wordpress. The way I look at it though, it's really set up for blog-style stuff. You can make it do other things, but something tailored for your specific needs might be better. If that something exists. I'd be interested to hear what people come up with.

About 2 years ago I went looking for photoblog/portfolio software and wasn't too impressed with what I dug up. I probably missed some good options.

As far as hosting, I might steer clear of GoDaddy as well. I've heard bad things. I used Jaguar PC for the past 6 years. They are decent. I stopped recently because I wanted more control of the server and am now running at Linode, which I would NOT recommend for casual use. I've also heard good things about https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/. If you are a Mac person, it might be worth checking out MobileMe, and hosting your site there.