Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
The camera itself is compact, yet with the VC-7 vertical grip, it's balanced with larger telephoto lenses of the 70-200 f/2.8 variety. The VC-7 also allows the camera to run on ubiquitous AA batteries.
Yes, I wouldn't want to do without my VC-7 grip! Not only because I have a strong preference for vertical shots, but like you say, the balance of camera with heavy F2.8 lenses is just so much better. In addition, I wouldn't want to do without the capability of popping in regular AA NiMh rechargeables, just great. No hassle with expensive non-rechargeable Lithium batteries, or equally expensive brand/model specific rechargeable batteries like in modern d*****l SLR.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
The sigma 24-70 f2.8 seems to have a couple of different models. Are the non-manufacturer brand maxxum lenses any good? Any thoughts on a zoom versus 2 or 3 primes? With my OM's I usually prefer to use my Zuiko primes. The Minolta primes are certainly cheap. Is it just because they are unfashionable?
Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Their lens database has lots of user reviews and is the first place I would look for user based information.
Like Hoffy says, your first stop should by the Dyxum reviews. I do remember one of the first models of Sigma's 24-70 F2.8 EX receiving a lesser review in a photo magazine, essentially stating something like that "they pushed the design of the really good 28-70 F2.8 EX to far" by creating the 24-70 version as spin off... However, I don't think current top line EX models including the latest 24-70 have the same issue, it was at the dawn of Sigma's rise with quality EX lenses some 10 years back.

I have no complaints about my Sigma 28-70 F2.8 EX (Early model).