You got me all excited thinking someone ruined their D3 but cutting it open, gutted it, putting in a pinhole and a primitive film advance.

What you linked is called "TTV" through the viewfinder. It's not new. Hmmm you could even liken this to the 35mm DOF adapters a lot of people use on their video cameras and even their super 8 cameras sometimes.