Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
So i went from 35mm to medium and now i'm looking at view cameras...

is it better to get a large format camera with roll film back or a medium format view camera?

any suggestions welcome, I'm very new to the LF. I really don't want to carry around something very big, but i WANT the movements!
Since you are new to LF, and you WANT the movements, I suggest that you try to make learning to use movements as easy as possible. To learn movements you need to be able to see what happens when you make movements.

IMHO, small film doesn't work well for this. Newbies should start out with sheet film, at least 5x4. Two main reasons. First, it's big enough you can see what you are doing on the ground glass -- and the ground glass never lies. Second, you can develop the sheets individually so you get quicker feedback -- the film you exposed this afternoon can be on your light table tonight and you can see how successful (or not) your use of front tilt really was. During the initial learning phases, this can actually be cheaper than using roll film -- better to screw up one sheet than an entire roll.

I also suggest that you start with a "normal" lens of around 150mm for said 5x4 camera. Why? Again, two main reasons. First, a normal lens is far more useful on an LF camera than it is on a small format camera. As a newbie you probably won't believe that -- I didn't. But after a few years I bought a 150mm lens and find I use it surprisingly frequently. Second, again, it's easier to learn movements if you can see what you are doing. Too short a lens and the effects of movements are too small to see easily.

Will you listen to me? I doubt it. I asked similar questions and mistakenly disregarded most of the answers when I was starting LF. Yet, if you can bring yourself to do what I couldn't -- learn from the experience of others, it will definitely speed up your climbing of the learning curves, and decrease your frustration levels. Really.

There's a wealth of information and experience available from the LF photography forum. The home page contains a lot of articles written by members to help people come up to speed quickly. It's nearly as big as APUG; but instead of being focused on analog, it's focused on LF and ULF. Search the archives and articles and ask all the questions you want.