Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
I don't understand a lot of this from the theoretical point of view, but the lesson I get from this is:

If 0.01 g/sqm residue is "commercially" sufficient, than Greg tests give peace of mind to all those who follow this procedure, provided the water is not significantly different;

To take into account difference in water quality, add another rinse. No problem.

Because 0.01 g/sqm might not be enough for archival quality, add yet another rinse and you'll have archival quality anyway, so that your grand-grand-nephew can make observations about your pictures, after having already inherited from your heirs that is.

So any published method for washing is good for most purposes (thanks Greg) and if you really want to be sure to reach archival quality just add a rinse or a couple of rinses (thanks Erik) for your descendants' enjoyment.

Fabrizio
Water is cheap.
You relly did grasp this Fabrizio!

I have nothing further to add,my post was NOT an attack an Greg, nor on PE, it was just to highlight that the testing method will measure down to COMMERCIALLY sufficient levels, beyond that it simply says nothing meaningful.

I can live with that. because I always washed to archival levels anyway, not because I'm overly concerned with that, but because water is cheap where I live, and because I can.

I used to use running tap water, but think that is a nuisance around HERE, this being Norway, we have very cold tap water (no ice needed when I enjoy my oirsih whiskey!!).

Since I'm more concerned with emulsion reticulation than remaining thiosulphates, I decided to go to slush-and-discard watering, I can conntrol water temperature within 1 degree Celcius that way.

I did a little research, dug out long forgotten school training, my chemistry class, I'm an old chemical engineer. So I discovered that this watering business was in line with my classical formal chemistry education, and EUREKA, the good old Ilford system was better from bolth a teoretical and practical point of view. For ME.

You can do what you like, as long as the film spend enough time in water and you use enough of it or changes it enough, you will be good. You will reach commercial levels easily and fast, archival levels with just a little more work or time.

This is really no big deal, its almost infathomable that anyone can spend so much time debating such a simple issue,m and make something so simple look so hard.

Have a nice time all of you, but make damn sure you spend a lot more time photograping, than debating issues that was debated to death more than a century ago.

Erik