In my not-so-humble opinion, good landscape photography can be thought of as making an intimate portrait of the land. The similarities are many:

- you need to feel empathy with the subject, understanding its moods and how it came to be in its current state.

- you need to select the best light to allow its "emotions" to shine through. You want to show the anger, happiness, severity, joyfulness, serenity, etc that the subject may offer.

- you need to be able to choose the features which most define the subject (visually and emotionally). Anticipate when it will be most comfortable, but also when it may show unexpected emotions.

- you want your picture to capture and convey a story about the subject. To do that, you need to know the subject's story before you shoot.

So in the same way as a portrait photographer spends time getting to know his/her subject before getting the camera out, you will need to get to know the landscape, form a relationship with it and choose how and when to capture its mood.

When you have an intimate relationship your subject, the strong emotions that come from that relationship will show in your shots. (Sounds cheesy to me too, but I firmly believe it!)

Cheers,