Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
Keep doing film as long as the local labs are making it easy for you. You are lucky to have local labs. Mailing it isn't a problem either as long as you're not in a rush.

To make digital less time consuming, you really need a newer higher end computer. Most general purpose machines aren't fit for it; they need an upgrade of some sort, usually ram and display. The software needed to efficiently process and batch adjust images is not fast or lightweight. That's where you put a price on your time. Do I spend $1000 on a new PC or do I suffer with my current slow one for another year or spend $500 on a false sense or economy for a more reliable low end one, and how much time will this decision save me. Then you have to duplicate all your data every 5 years (not that difficult with big hard drives) so you don't lose it to the ravages of time and entropy. Use digital where it's convenient; don't fight it when you don't want to use it or it's not the right tool. I've been doing digital color for 10 years, so I kinda got it figured out, not much challenge anymore, and find the newer dslr cameras to beat 35mm color film in terms of detail, but choice of medium is your artistic decision, not mine. Personally I like analog for B&W.

I don't do color printing, but I have done it in the past. It is indeed easy if things are consistent like Mike Wilde aims for. It's tough when you pick a random negative out of your binder from some outdoor scene and try to make a perfect print quickly.
I get your point. I've been doing digital for about 10 years now too on a nice big PowerMac with enough power and a 30" monitor, and even I have to continually worry about upgrading and spend time with it. Having digital cameras is like having a car that needs to be maintained and upgraded much quicker. I think my whole point is trying to stop using digital in the first place. I really just need a simple quick way to get it into the computer for the odd-titling or headshots. Other than that, using film all the time would be great.

This dilemma is hard because everybody trying to make a living in photography is doing it, and clients don't always understand what they're into and the impatience sets in more often now. I blame Random Access! I've heard it said more than once: digital was the greatest thing to ever happen to photography, and the worst.
While I try to balance out this equation for myself, I'll continue on with that sorta' trusty EOS-1D (yeah, the 4MP one - it does great BTW).