</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (motcon @ May 15 2003, 01:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (edbuffaloe @ Apr 30 2003, 03:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I have recently seen some prints with split tones I would like to emulate.&nbsp; I queried the photographer, who said she partially bleaches the prints, on warm Forte paper, typically using selective bleaching with ferricyanide, then tones in selenium.&nbsp; The bleached areas of the print are a striking blue color after toning. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
need to revive this thread for a question:

Ed, does she selectively ferri the shadows? i would assume so due to it being selenium, but would like confirmation from you before i go off experimenting. it sounds like it can be something worthwhile.
</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
If you are experimenting with selenium split toning and bleaching try either fully or partially bleaching the print and before toning in selenium expose the print to UV light, either sunlight or on a UV light box. You can achieve some interesting splits but you have to pull the print quickly when you see a combination that you like for once change occurs it moves quickly. Partial bleaching can be achieved by being selective and using a wad of cotton wool on certain areas of the image, or, you can partially bleach by immersing the whole print in ferri and removing it before the mid and lower values are bleached. Selenium will have a more significant affect on those areas not bleached because there is silver present.

You may also wish to try bleaching a print and allowing it to fully redevelop in UV light, rather like a sun print. Again you will get some interesting changes sometimes good sometimes not so good but that is the nature of experimenting.

Have fun.