Bob;

I remember little about receiver sheets for B&W. I know that the best "goo" used Carboxy Methyl Cellulose and also HMMP (Hydroxy Methyl Methyl Phenidone). Most other Phenidone derivatives ring open with keeping and go bad. I also know that the outside of the pod must be coated with an indicator dye to alert you to "leakers" as the pods tend to leak very very easily. Pods must be packed under an inert atmosphere.

I also know that there are many goo formulas and that they must be tailored to the specific film emulsion and to the receiver sheet being used so that nucleation takes place correctly. The timing layer is there to normalize results if the user fails to peel at the right time or if the temperature is too high or low.

Just as with so many things in Analog, an entire book could be written. If you send me some patent #s in a PM or E-mail, I will try to review them and give you an opinion, but that opinion may be way out of line due to lack of direct experience and the passage of time and its effect on the advance in technology and my memory.

BTW, one of Grant's monobaths was used in the orbital photo system. The photo material was called BIMAT and had a tacky or "wet" sheet and the dry film sheet. After exposure, they were laminated together giving a positive "dry" image that was scanned or sent back to earth by reentry. At this time, the entire machine is setup in the entrance lobby of George Eastman House.

PE