What I have tried to say in my posts here is that the books out there have been severely censored either by the authors or the companies that they represent. In addition, no definitive work has been published in just about 75 years that explains emulsion making. Therefore, although you can gain a sense of what is going on, you can spend a lot of time trying to make something that works well in your home lab.

If you take the basic Baker SRAD emulsion, which he calls "high speed", and make it today, it comes out with an ISO of about 6 - 12 because all gelatins sold in the western world are inactive, but if you modify the formula to use the methods of Sheppard et al, you can get ISO 40 - 80, which is what Baker probably intended. Well, the same goes for all other emulsion texts.

It is like reading a book on surgery from the 1800s. Not wrong, but clumsy and with many misinterpretations of observed effects.

I have been trying for 5 years to reduce the old emulsions to modern formulas, and to tack on modern techniques and modern formulas and organize them. If it had not been for the secrecy though, I would not have to be doing this. BUT, (and this is a big but), all of the techniques are out there in patents for all to see! Understanding is another thing, and capability to carry out the instructions is another. And thus, the modern core shell t-grain formulas are there as is the entire structure of Ektar put forth in one patent for all to see. I've posted the patent # for all to see in another post rather similar to this.

So, given the technology and the desire does not give you the ability to do top-of-the-line work, but it will help you understand, and what I am writing up will carry this much further for the average darkroom worker.

PE