The trade secrets involved are those related to how exactly the emulsion is made and coated. So, although the entire formula may be given, the mixing speed, mixer design, UF hookup and the rate of exchange are a number of things that are glossed over by saying "it an be repeated by one skilled in the art". This last part is what I am doing in my home darkroom, and I'm doing it from memory.

Whether the interest is there to use it is another matter. I doubt if anyone is willing, and so in the future I would say that we will have the following: A blue sensitive emulsion with an average ISO of 12, a contact print and very slow enlarging paper with a grade of 2 or thereabouts and that is it. Much more is possible. What is possible is an ortho or pan emulsion with speeds up to 400, and a VC or fixed contrast paper for contact and enlarging with current speeds. A simple color film and paper are also within the reach of the home worker. But, I see little serious interest in the more advanced possibilities, and just mild interest in the simpler options.

PE