Quote Originally Posted by peeniwali View Post
Oh, and a parting thought on the fragile nature of carbon fiber. some of the better ice axes out there have carbon fiber shafts. Made well the stuff is bomb-proof and we are renowned for punishing our tools.
Hallo,
Perhaps my comments on the strength of carbon fibre might have been phrased better
Carbon fibre can be made bullet proof - see the "survival cells" of the monocoque chassis of a Formula One car, they are nearly indestructable and have saved many lives that would otherwise have been lost or seriously injured - so I do agree that if made well (and for specific purpose) carbon fibre is very strong. What I aslo know is that if the stress point is not designed into the cloth the finished fibre will have less/minimal strength in that area of stress.

I would suggest that a tripod from a renowned manufacturer will be designed to take more stress etc than perhaps one built down to a price rather than up to a quality.

The heat conductivity of carbon fibre is a good point well made - in our mini-cold spell here I replaced a steel monopod with a carbon one and did notice the difference in holding it, but it was only -8 here.

The mountaineers from your neck of the woods are the ones to listen to I reckon, and good of them to chip in.

Cheers,
Sim2.