Sounds to me like they have a defective technical department too....

One of the reasons I am no longer in the loop so to speak is that they deemed that technicians are no longer needed. I took early retirement. Plug and play is the answer. So,there is no one left that can actually fix anything. You are dealing with a hell of a lot of juice fully charged. And as eric says we assume that they discharge when the light is off. Unfortunately that light off means the unit can still be 75 -80 % of full charge. Your only way of knowing for sure that it does not hold a huge charge is turning it off immediately after manually flashing it. It takes a few seconds to recharge, and in that time you can be assured that it is safe. I am not sure about the speedotrons but some units can be manually flashed after they are turned off to completely discharge them. Either way, you should not have to put up with the line they are giving. If they cannot assure that they have disabled the high power section you can be sure they have not!

If you do have to use it, keep one hand in your pocket while you plug and unplug the heads. That way your shock will not be lethal...