Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
Speaking as a customer, I personally think $300 is a reasonable price for a matted and framed print that large. But it's a lot of money for many people to spend on art. Also, it's a big print. For either cost or wall space, some might prefer a smaller piece. Have you considered having more than one range? It seems that would appeal to more types of buyers. For example, instead of selling only one large size at $300, you could sell a smaller size at $150, for example, and the large size at $350.
-Laura
Laura is a great example of a client in one possible market.

Some galleries work in that market, others make their markets in entirely different groups; that may be a higher or lower priced market.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercody View Post
I guess I am over thinking the materials, I just want to make sure I at least know what the material cost is so I can cover it.
It is important to understand your costs but only so that you can decide whether or not it's worth doing business with a gallery. All I was saying is that your costs aren't directly linked to the selling price in the gallery market.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercody View Post
I never thought of asking the gallery. I might give that a try. If that fails, I am guessing the $300 range sounds fine.
I don't see how this could fail.

Walk around any gallery and look at (or if need be ask for) the prices of pieces they are selling.

If their prices are from say $600-$2000, your $300 price won't "fit" and probably won't sell in that gallery.

The real question for the gallery buyer is if they think they can sell your work in their normal price range.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
I'd charge as much for prints as you can reliably get for them. No more and no less is ideal. Sometimes this makes your hourly wage very low, but any job is better than no job (i.e. selling nothing because nobody will pay what you are asking).
There is truth there.