Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer269 View Post
Sounds like a great idea man, I'd love to see how it turns out!
Well, I came upon another problem with that... since the paper negative is usually very low in contrast, you'd need to enhance the contrast somehow, but there is no positive film with a high enough contrast. Maybe taking the photo on a graphical b&w film, making an inter-positive... or -negative, whatever, I'm confusing myself. Anyway, copy that high-contrast picture onto another piece of negative film and enlarge that onto paper. Or maybe simply taking a low-contrast positive, enlarging that and lith-developing the paper would do the trick. I'll have to try that some day.
Of course, you'd lose the color which brings me to:
Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer269 View Post
Hmm I'm not sure. I didn't scan my negatives, they were much too large. I photographed the 6 large tiles with my 5D Mark II and pieced them together in Photoshop. The original negatives definitely had some color, very very low contrast, but I could definitely discern some variances in color. And I didn't apply any color correction either. I also took a digital photograph of the building (my high school) to compare and the colors don't seem to be random. Hmm..
I'm utterly perplexed. I just made a rather short exposure (about two weeks) and there seems to be some very slight coloring. You can see the picture here (link). I took a photo of the (tiny) negative with an EOS 50D and custom white balance, then inverted the picture and increased contrast as only digital modifications. I guessed, the colors where just my mind playing tricks, because it knows, how this stuff is supposed to look. Sadly, analyzing the colors in Photoshop also confirms that there is a little greenish blue in the sky and yellow in the sun. The paper had been old and yellow, so that would explain the greenish blue sky when inverted and the silver has a slight bluish tint that would make the sun seem yellow, but that doesn't explain the detailed color in your picture at all.
There are colors... I can't deny it, but I can't explain it either. It would mean, that a certain wavelenght of light does something to the silver-bromide or other chemicals in the paper and emulsion to make the exact opposite visible color appear. I hope, someone can explain this to me scientifically... any chemists and physicists around? Sorry, "god did it" won't do as an explanation...