</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lee @ May 20 2003, 04:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> why couldn&#39;t you use regular hypo with PMK. I use Kodak Rapid Fix without the hardner and have no problems at all. Try it you might find it works for you and it is sure cheaper.

lee&#092;c </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Hi Lee:

It may work but you would need to see a before and after for comparison. As soon as the PMK stained negative hits the low ph of acid fixer, a lot of it (the stain) falls off and it will cost you some density and a loss of the benefits of a good overall stain. The reduced silver will still be there and the negative will print - you just won&#39;t get as smooth a print as you might otherwise. I noticed a meaningfull difference in stain before and after the 20min recommended wash. Try some TF4 (ammonium thiosulphate based) and make a few exposures and compare the results against a sodium thiosulphate based fixer - I&#39;ll bet photoformulary would send you a sample if you asked them. One other thing - the capacity of TF4 is almost twice that of acid fixer - helps offset the cost a little. If you use it with prints - you wont need stop bath (just water) and your entire process will be a higher ph and more archival. Less wash time&#33; So yes - it is more expensive but overall - worth it IMHO

Frank