If all you want to do is read the data from a tri-color pack film, you could consider a method that was used in a 'quick process to scan' machine that flopped several years ago due to the rapid emergence of the digital camera. I forget the name of the machine or who marketed it. Perhaps it had something to do with the people who developed 'digital ice'.

Basically it worked something like this: (I may be wrong on several points here) -

The film was developed in a B&W developer, which developed the three silver images. I don't think that a color developer was used, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if they fixed it either. They ran the wet film into a scanner which scanned the front and the back at the same time in a reflective mode (obviously they had to remove any AH layer). They also scanned through the entire film (reading the OD of all three layers). From these three scans, they were able to obtain RGB values, the center layer was calculated by subtracting the densities of the two outer layers from the total transmitted density. I believe that the results were quite good, but it was a one shot process - the film was rolled up still wet, and sent out for silver extraction.

Regards - Jim Browning