I look on in amazement at digital photographers at weddings. They take a shot during the dancing, then stop to examine the digital image they just made - "was it good or should I delete it?" During those five-or-so seconds of examination he's missed one or two important one-chance-only shots. Because he's too busy doing in real-time what should be his post-production winnowing.

I've shot weddings for friends - either as the only or as a secondary photographer. Using film, I did not have the opportunity - nor the distraction - of trying to figure out if the last shot should be deleted. Instead, I would be concentrating on getting the right shots, watching the action and being ready to grab the shot. I used my experience in setting the f-stop, speed, depth-of-field - and bracketing as well - to be prepared. And then to keep shooting as the action dictated. I left my "is it good or is it not good" soliloquy for when I got the prints back from the lab and discarded those that were not up to standard. But as I had kept shooting I almost always had a "good" version of any "bad" shot.