Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
Hi

I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma.

I've photographed two weddings for friends in the past 18 months or so. The first went OK and the second went very well as a result of learning from my mistakes at the first.
That is perfectly normal. The learning curve is steepest in the first few weddings.

The clients of the second wedding were thrilled with my pictures, and even several APUG folk said the majority were very good photos (though one has to take into account pleasantries).
The only thing that counts is the clients.

I used my Nikon F5, Fuji films and SB-800 flash.
I don't care how reliable these tools are, they aren't indestructable, having a (preferably matching) backup camera and strobe is important if you are going to do this.

I am very keen to publish a small advert in a local circular that gets posted in the houses in and around my area with the hope that I might get one or two "real" clients but not so many that I am unable to deal with it.
If you get too many jobs you are not charging enough or being picky enough about the jobs you take.

I am confident that I am creative, personable, approachable, professional, adaptable, courteous, thorough and I have a true belief in marriage myself. My business is already setup (accounts, website etc) and have a good mix of quality lenses but I don't do that much professional work.
Having the business setup is great.

Having a well defined product is of paramount importance; exactly what does the bride get?

And yes, I really do mean "exactly".

What I am getting at is that I feel I could be a good wedding photographer, but I feel stupid to think that with two weddings under my belt and having never worked alongside a full time wedding photographer, I could actually do it "for real, with real clients". But then when I think about reasons as to why not, I don't actually come up with many, other than light extremes and rain, neither of which I have much experience of dealing with. But it worries me so much as to the consequences if I get it wrong.
Weddings are, at least for me, just the perfect setup for a long series of staged "environmental" portraits. Everyone is normally dressed well and expecting to be photographed. It's not a tough world to work in.

At weddings, you just photograph more people, in more setups, than you do in other situations.

I find that once I "get in the groove" it's just a matter of remembering to look around and keep up with the plan.

I don't know what to do. Should I go for it, or should I not? Have any of you been in this position or did you all graduate from arts college and\or have experience as a second shooter before you went out on your own?
I did one assisting job, no arts college, just went for it.

Since you like the idea of it, go for it.

(PS - I have asked a couple of local photographers about assiting them, but I got either no reply or an indirect no).

Ted
They don't want the competition.