Quote Originally Posted by rrobinson54
1. Film scanner vs. Flatbed scanner
If I were to try and start out "right," I'd get a film scanner. The Minolta Multi Pro is awfully expensive but the resolution is insane. I have a Nikon IV for 35mm, and do my medium format scanning at work on an Epson 3200. The scans are good up to 11x14, but I'm clearly not achieving the kind of results I should be with such a large negative.

I have been eyeing a Minolta Multi, the original version, myself. No ICE or anything like that and the resolution is lower, but it has glass carriers and supposedly gives results superior to a flatbed, enough though the flatbed claims much higher resolution.

2. I have an HP7960 printer (8-1/2"X11"), which I plan to keep as a b&w printer. I plan to buy a good used Epson 2200. Is the Epson still considered one of the best printers (quality, life of print, color, etc.)? If not, what would be a better choice?
If you're doing B&W, then the 2200 is probably your better option. Archival and you can get neutral prints using a RIP such as QTR.

If you're going to print color as well, then you'll probably want to wait for the R1800, which was recently announced. It doesn't have the light black which is why it's considered to be not quite as good for B&W, but it'll give you better color results, reportedly.

thinking of buying a used Apple G4, with enough memory to handle medium format files. Would I be smarter to buy a new iMac G5 or something else?
Well, if you need to add expansion cards obviously you need some kind of tower, whether it's a G4 or otherwise. But the G5 iMac is "supposedlly" nearly as powerful as even a G5 tower, and you'd probably see quite an improvement with that as compared to a G4. Just make sure to get lots of RAM.

4. Film - I normally use Fuji Astia, but will probably start using Velvia. Good or bad choice? I would prefer to stay with slide film and I am looking for the best quality film for landscapes and scanning purposes.
Velvia is notoriously difficult to scan. I've had only decent results from it, but even then the colors are even wilder than the slides themselves. I really like the results I get from Provia, myself. Saturated enough to give more pop to landscapes, but not so much (or so contrasty) that it gets difficult to scan. I have not used Kodak's slide film at all yet.

allan

Any information or opinions would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]