In his book "The Fine Print" Fred says he had a print of AA's "Oak Tree and Snowstorm", and that he printed with that image at his elbow. Hence, I guess, came the idea to market the "reference" prints, as a way to allow others to have the same kind of experience. I bought a print of the Oak Tree at the AA gallery in Yosemite years ago. I think Alan Ross was doing the gallery prints in those days. It's a gorgeous thing - (too bad my ex-wife has it) - and shows that good prints can be made by students of the masters. Of course, it doesn't hurt if the 8x10 negative you're printing from was made by AA, either. Most of the guys I knew in Carmel, photographers, gallery owners, made fun of Fred Picker. But I admired his enthusiasm, and there was almost a kind of sweet naivete about his solemn proclamations regarding the methods and materials. About printing the big tobacco barn, he said he went for the most boring paper he could think of - Kodak Medalist. Well, it's only boring if you can't make it work, and what I'd do for a 100 sheet box of that paper now! Fred was just a little too rigid and dogmatic. But he also advanced the medium for a lot of beginners, of which I was one when I first read The Fine Print lo those many years ago.