I finally just went for it and made the camera out of the plywood that we had sitting around. This is the final product.

http://static.zooomr.com/images/9741...a782fdb5_b.jpg

I cut the plywood up with a circular saw then it was hand nailed together since I didn't have a pneumatic nail gun. Spray painted the inside black and then used caulking to fill in the cracks, then added another couple coats of spray paint. Used a couple cheap brass hinges for the back. Rope on top for handle and a rope in the back to keep it closed when titled upward. Got to finally use it today and here's the best result I got.