Quote Originally Posted by PaulMD View Post
Susan,

You might want to try a flash. I doubt that camera has sync, and even if it does it'll be for flashbulbs, not electronic flash. Paper is pretty slow, I want to say Ilford RC is ISO 25. You could take advantage of that, stop the camera all the way down (if there's an indoor/outdoor switch, put it to outdoor), lock the shutter open with the T or B setting, and fire the flash by hand.

I read a thread here that suggests you might be able to increase the speed by preflashing.

I'm not sure what the value of that bellows camera was, but $200 is a bit of change. If you're serious about getting it, make sure the bellows are light, the lens isn't full of fungus and gunk, the shutter still works, and you can get film for it (if you plan on shooting it!). If not, $200 will get you a decent camera of some kind. Check out the Zeiss Super Ikontas, if you are into vintage cameras you will love them. I have a plain Ikonta with a cheap lens, it is great fun, the results are decent, and they're the best-built folder I've seen by a long shot.

I definitely feel your pain on the addiction. I started with a K1000 and it's been downhill since there, I'm starting to put together a 4x5 kit now...
I started with a Minolta X370 - and immediately switched over to my husband's K1000. Then I bought a Lensbaby Muse for it. Now I want to get the macro attachments for THAT because I love my Lensbaby. The best 'big money' I've ever spent on a camera or equipment.

That $200 was STEEP and I *wanted* that camera. The smaller one was $30 - but I didn't get it. *sigh* I didn't look at it too closely to see what all worked. I should have bought it anyway.

I found an Ikonta online - $135...but the site says that it's "not for use" as it's too valuble - and should only be displayed on a shelf, but the camera works. Shutter fires, the lens is in good shape, ect...I just hate to buy something like that and then find out, "Whoa. There's something not right!" Which is why I like hitting the resale shops because at least that way, I can do a hands on inspection of it.

And it goes on and on and on. The next thing I want to do is make a pinhole camera out a wooden coffin I have.