Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtracker View Post
You don't need running water for a darkroom, though it is easier with that.
Indeed. My first darkroom was three and a half feet by seven feet in size. I could just fit three 12x16 trays side by side on a wall shelf.
Once fixed I would put the prints in a bucket of water and let them soak there for up to an hour. After accumulating two to four prints I would take the bucket to the laundry room and put the prints in a tray with clean water.
When the printing session was over I used a VersaLab print washer for an hour, unless I intended to tone the pictures, in which case I did that first.

You do not need running water in your darkroom. It's nice to have, but should not be considered an impediment. It's not that big of a deal. I worked in that small darkroom for five years, and would have still been working out of it if it wasn't for me moving out of that particular house.

I second the opinion that printing a lot is the only way to fully understand the whole process of film photography.
If you don't print your own negatives, it becomes exceptionally difficult to understand what changes in film development will actually do to a print.

It took me a couple of years of printing a lot to come to a place where I can put into print what I visualize when I click the shutter. With each print we become better printers, and more complete photographic artists.

Classes are great for teaching you the basics and to find a good process. It may also, depending on the teacher, be a great avenue to explore deeper, but some teachers can be closed minded and apply too much of their opinion when they guide emerging talent, so watch out for that. You don't want to become a clone of your teacher...

- Thomas