Quote Originally Posted by edz
Tura can sell Agfa paper cheaper than Agfa because they want to--- and because in some cases have to in order to make a sale. Agfa does not even really want to bother cutting paper into individual sheets but only rolls. Agfa RA-4 paper, for instance, is no longer available from Agfa/Agfa Photo as sheets but only standardised rolls. Tura sell boxed Agfa, Fuji and Mitsubishi papers in sheets and rolls. Margins on film and paper are very good so there is a lot of room, especially in cut-down material, to make a profit.

The market is, however, rapidly changing. Fomer "eastern block" players like Foma and Forte are now within the borders of the European Union. Total demand for film has been declining and the market and formats for photographic papers is in transition. Through the weak U.S. dollar and Kodak's global homogenization of pricing, their papers too have become attractive on the German market.

Agfa C-41 negative material is private label boxes is now under the 1 EURO mark in the drugstore (e.g. DM Paradise KB-135/36 is, I think, 0.95 EURO in single packages and much cheaper in the larger boxes).
Anyone want to predict where this will go?

I used to buy reasonable quantities of Forte roll paper but their prices went up and delivery was erratic so I moved to Tura whose prices and delivery have been excellent for the last few years.

Will I be forced to buy Forte again?

Incidently someone in the know told me the cost of producing photo paper was less than one tenth the retail price. I can believe it when I get Tura (which is Agfa) for less than a third of Agfa retail price. Both of them plus my supplier are still making money on the deal.

Clayton