" In other words, the delay you refer to is not something independent of the shutter blades, but is actually part of the same system. This is a direct mechanical linkage and provided the shutter is not faulty there is no way that it can fire the flash before this point."

There is NO misunderstanding with how a shutter works. What you have posted is exactly what I said - but, it is a delay from the time the shutter is first triggered - whether is directly mechnically linked or not. On one of my older lenses, I have several sync positions for different types of flash bulbs plus an "X" sync for electronic flash. I assume that a different gear train is engaged to vary the delay to trigger the flash bulb sooner (shorter delay) than at "X" sync in order to let the flash bulb reach peak illumination when the shutter is fully open - and take into account how long it is illuminated. Change types of flash bulbs sync delay is changed to account for time it takes the bulb to get to peak illumination and how long the bulb actually burns.

My only reason for posting is to alert Prime that IF he uses a fast shutter speed with an electronic flash under certain circumstances he may underexpose the film. So, if he gets under exposed film with a correctly set f/stop and flash power setting, the cause could be because of a high shutter speed - and not some mysterious force from the planet Saturn, the moon being out of alignment with his horoscope sign, a problem with his camera, or not wearing his aluminum helmet at the proper angle to protect himself from aliens....

At this point - I think we're beginning to beat that proverbial dead horse.