Quote Originally Posted by m. dowdall
Sandy

I'm already signed up for the workshop. The confermation came in the mail last Friday. WOO WHOO, goin' to Montana soon... Anyway, this weekend I'm hoping to get out and take some 4x5 and 8x10s. But I'm not sure what density range to develope them to. I've read Phil Davis' BTZS but didn't understand contrast index. I've no problem with log densities and have access to a densitomiter with a blue channel. So what I'd like to know is what density range would fit best.

Thanks

Michael
Michael,

As I said to Dave, if you will tell me what film/developer you plan to use I can probably suggest a develoment time that will give a good negative for printing in carbon.

If you are using a traditional non-staining developer just take the reading in Visual channel, and shoot for a DR of about 1.5 - 1.7. If you develop with a staining developer the Blue channel reading will be quite a bit lower than effective printing density. However, a Blue channel reading of about 1.3 will translate into an effective UV density of around 1.6-1.8, depending on developer.

Best,

Sandy

Sandy