Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
I believe the data sheet that comes in most papers lists ISO speeds of the paper with different Ilford Multigrade filters. However, that is for tungsten illumination TMK. The papers might be more sensitive in daylight. So, yes, I would say some tests at first are the way to start.

I would not recommend using a 00 as a matter of course, but using the filter that will best give you what you want for each shot at hand. To pick this, you will need an eye for the luminance range of your composition (or a spot meter), and trial and error.
Sounds a little beyond my knowledge so I'll probably just end up doing some tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
Pinholes with VC papers -- no need to over-think it, just go out and do it! It is pinhole photography after all! Check the pinhole sites for their recommendations for starting points, but there are so many other factors (size of the pinhole, how far from the pinhole to the film, etc) that one might as well just jump into it with both feet. You have reciprocity failure effects, too. So forget about "tests" and go out and burn some paper! Try different filters! Keep notes so that you can repeat the successes and hopefully not repeat too many of the "failures".

Go out and have fun!
Thanks Vaughn. I just like having a good idea of what it takes to make a good exposure on the first shot. Or as close as possible to a good exposure. I read from another user that yellow filters were the way to go for contrast control. I tried it out the other day by placing a yellow filter in front of my digital camera, metering, plugging that into the exposure calculation formula (13 minute exposure), and then took the photo with my pinhole camera. When I developed it the negative was VERY thin, there was hardly any detail there. I went back out, metered without the yellow filter, plugged it into the calculation and I ended up getting an exposure time of a little over 10 minutes and then took the photo without the filter. I develop that one and it turned out MUCH better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronmichael/5475648370/

I'm thinking my digital camera didn't compensate enough for the yellow filter maybe? I should have just metered without it and then added an extra half stop or full stop of time.