Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
If you make a best print on MGIV and then do the same on MGWT I have generally found the MG IV print looks inferior. I have found that MGIV really benefits from printing a bit soft and given a hammering in selenium. MGWT seems to allow for that sort of lusciousness and depth without being messed with. When you have a large number of exhibition prints to make it makes a huge different to time and also predictability of outcome.
Agree with all of these statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
Toning is one more variable to contend with. I never thought I would be saying these words, but now I am a convert to the straight print for most applications.
I don't like straight print from MGIV either, but do for MGFB Warmtone.

However, even though toning is "one more variable", I still love toned results on most papers. It really transforms MGIV paper prints, but like you imply, is less of a necessity, or even undesirable, with MGFB Warmtone. I have found tones to easily become to "warm" or especially nasty "orange" while sepia toning the Warmtone paper. You really have to do partial tonings with Warmtone. Not a problem with MGIV.