Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
I shot film at the td garden at a celtics game last month. NBA allows different venues have different rules. The rule in Boston was no cameras with interchangeable lenses.
It's like that at Target Center in Minneapolis. The Pepsi Center here in Denver is wide open. I've even sat in the 2nd row with a pretty big zoom.

It was very busy when I entered the arena; we were basically cattleherded in and nobody was checking any camera to see if it was within their regulations. I could have brought an SLR if I wanted.
Here they check every bag, looking mainly for guns or bottles competing with the overpriced concessions.

One thing the staff doesn't want is for you to stand around in one area taking photos while the game is in progress.
Right, I will be shooting from my seat. In the past I have only ever used manual focus so I would focus on a certain distance and try to capture whatever happened within that range. This time I will have an autofocus and a week to get used to it.

It is worth noting that the court is of course lit a little brighter than the seating area in most arenas so don't assume the whole place is evenly lit as pbromaghin says.
Not sure where you got the idea I said it was evenly lit. The difference in the influence the court and seating have on the meter is my biggest problem.