Your shooter info says large format, so I'm assuming you are focusing on the ground glass. If not, disregard this.

My suggestions:

First, make sure you have a good loupe and can use it to reach fine focus. I use 8x, but many like 4x or 6x loupes. Focus the image on the ground glass by moving the focusing knob both directions from the point of sharpest focus and "zeroing in" on the best focus. Make sure you choose an object with as much contrast/detail as possible to assist in seeing the sharpest focus. Once you can do this, then it is a matter of determining what to focus on and how much to stop down.

Relating to this, I would advise you to ditch the hyperfocal distance method. I would recommend a couple of methods as better.

1) The method I use is based on this web page: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html
It takes a bit to dig through all the info here, but the results are worth it. Basically, you determine near and far points of focus and the focus spread on the camera itself, using a scale on the camera bed or rail or measuring using a tape, etc. Then you set the focus exactly halfway between these points. You then use the distance of the focus spread to choose the optimum f-stop.

2) A less technical, but somewhat less precise method is to simply visually focus on something halfway between the points in your scene you wish to be sharp. Then, while observing these atter points through the loupe, stop down until everything is acceptably sharp. Stop down one more stop for safety and shoot.

A good thing to do would be to check if your ground glass and film plane are in the same position, as discrepancies here can lead to focus errors. One test is to lay a ruler flat on a tabletop, and focus the camera, with lens wide open, on the 6-inch mark. Shoot and develop and see if, indeed, the 6-inch mark is the sharpest. If not, your ground-glass position needs adjusting. If that's the case, there is a lot of info here about how to do that.

Good luck,

Doremus Scudder

www.DoremusScudder.com