I tried my first two Negative reclamations last night with FP-100B,(self portraits) had some success with Blue 3m masking taped to glass flat on a table because the blue masking typically pulls off easy, but the Laundry stock Chlorine (worked a charm) caused the tape adhesive to become extra sticky though but cleaned off easily, but I think insoluble stuff like brown Plastic packing tape may work better to prevent the chlorine from getting the emulsion wet beneath the protective plastic, a purpose made chemical resistant plastic masking tape would be perfect! I did discover that if you have a hand spray windex bottle you can literally spray off the Black goo, didnt realize the emultion was below the plastic, so Rubbing gently may be less liquid intensive. The step with the plastic and the roller will only need gentle pressure unless you very lightly soaked your paper towel. (I used toilet tissue folded about 6 times and probably oversoaked it with bleach) I will use less next time, just enough to dampen the paper and the backing. 20 minutes seemed to work prefectly. If the emulsion is allowed to dry (1-2 hours) prior, and kept dry during the backing removal process I can see that a good crisp negative can be had for scanning. I think water rinsing can re-soften the emulsion and Personally I like the scrunched emulsion look around the borders, it has a very plastic and analog feeling to it like a physically melted negative that would take hours of digital manipulation to accurately mimic. Underexposures seem to hold the most detail in the negative and come out slightly yellow but can be adjusted digitally back to black and white, probably best with grayscale on a color image to preserve tone. Ansell's methodology is once again Prophetic in his "Expose for the shadows" approach. Hint: save all those underexsposed instant Negatives they will likely be more valuable visually than the proofs as you will be surprised at the detail remaining in the shadow areas representing Zones 1-4!
This process should be featured in every school science lab activity for elementary education it never gets old!