Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
Congrats, Merg. I haven't subscribed to LensWork in some time, but I'll keep an eye out for this one.

As a contributor, how accurate do you think the reproductions are in LensWork? They always look good, but they also look kind of uniform in terms of tonality and contrast range (leaving aside the question of print color, which he's acknowledged can't be reproduced without significantly increasing the complexity of process, using different inks for each portfolio). It could be that Brooks Jensen favors images that have a certain look, or it could be that he's adjusting all the images to his taste or maybe to a range that he knows will reproduce well in the magazine, but may not be what the prints look like--which wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to do, but it would be interesting to know what his priorities are in this regard.
Hi David, and thanks.

As perhaps mentioned, I sent the 60 gelatin silver prints to Brooks for scanning. I do not have them back yet to make side by side comparisons, however the reproductions are warmer color than I usually print. I have no problem with this, as my print color has varied from paper to paper over the years. Overall, the prints look pretty true contrast wise, with the exception of one which looks dead. Not presently having that print to compare, I will take the blame in this instance.

All said, were I ever to do a book, the prints would uniformly have a different look; however, I am pleased with what Brooks has done.

Hope this somewhat answers your question.

Best,
Merg

You might enjoy the audio interview; I listened to it last evening, and it is not bad (thanks to Brooks' editing).