I haven't been able to print much lately so I have spent some time testing a film+developer combo to suit certain scenarios and for when I want to fully exploit resolving power of some of the newer Leica glass. The way to go would normally be to shoot slow film but I am looking to be able to enjoy fine grain (when and if needed), great acutance, micro-contrast, and pleasing tonalities, without sacrificing speed and being able to shoot hand-held in most situations. Sort of sounds like the Holy Grail. I love Acros and I am looking for stand/semi stand process to to get some edge effects, nice sparkling highlights and a nice, long scale negative that can print itself.

This is a bit of a work in progress, but at least here are some example for those who are interested, since there isn't a lot of data out there for this. As always, by no means interpret this as undisputed gospel or a source of endless arguments, because it isn't. This is what I (myself) have gotten and I certainly encourage anyone to test on their own and exploit new possibilities.

I'm not big on tests using strips and the likes, so I'm basically blowing a bunch of rolls, taking pictures and going with the flow, while still having some fun.

Acros @ ISO160, Leica M3, 135mm Tele Elmar - all metered with a Gossen Digisix Pro incident meter and a 021 filter on the lens.

PF TFX-2 - 20ml solution A + 25ml solution B in 500ml stainless reel/tank @ 68 degrees. 40 minutes, with 4 inversions in 5 seconds at the start and 2 inversions every 8 minutes. These were high contrast scenes, with harsh midday lighting and I will test with lower dilutions and/shorter times as well.

So far, one test with dilution of 15+15ml in 500ml, for one hour and 2 inversions every 10 minutes, resulted in some uneven development so, contrary to what the Formulary says, I have my reservations that TFX2 can perform better than Rodinal in a highly diluted mix, even semi-stand.

What do you think?