Indeed, thank you Brooks for the detailed response. I can safely say that Brooks is the one person who knows more about the densities of my gelatin prints than anyone! His immense knowledge of offset printing is also visible, not only in my portfolio, but through the hundreds that have appeared in LensWork over the years. I am sure that the praise from Jimmy Williams has been echoed many times; certainly by me. In the short time I spent working with Brooks and Maureen, what became evident was their passion, and attention to detail that accompanies each portfolio.

Somewhat related, since Brooks gave mention, is the book that LensWork published showcasing the work of Huntington Witherill, Orchestrating Icons. Only recently have I obtained a copy, and the reproductions are stunning. Hunter prints much of his work in high key, or perhaps more correctly, he is drawn to subjects that lend themselves to such treatment. In any event, what is immediately apparent are the subtleties of his prints, so accurately rendered in ink. The obvious result of skilled presswork and supervision; with few exceptions, detail is displayed in the blacks, faithful to Hunter's prints and vision.

So, what does the future hold for well printed books of photography? I have a small library of them, some good and some exceptional. Will there continue to be those skilled enough in presswork to keep the tradition alive? Will LensWork, that wonderful tactile magazine emitting the smells of ink and paper, exist only as a CD? Time will tell.