Float mount is when a photograph is trimmed so that there are no borders. Then, this piece is mounted on a mount board. An over-mat is placed but the window is cut so that there are gaps between the photograph and opening of the over-mat. The work appears to "float" within the opening of the matting. I like this look!

Is it "float mount" or "float mat"?? Anyway, that's what I meant.