Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
err incident metering will give the same reading regardless if the object is black or white or grey.
Athirill, I certainly agree with you! What I meant, in response to the Original Poster, is that even if the reading is the same, if the subject is pure black or pure white it might fall, on film, in a zone of the characteristic curve where there is no much detail. So the reading is the same, but you might want to "adjust" it so that your subject is rendered with satisfactory texture even though with "less than pure" black or white.

An extreme case is the man with golden teeth shown above. The incident meter reading is "right" but the teeth, being very reflective, can fall outside of the film "good" range of densities. (That case is a bit different because we have a specular reflection in that image, but you get my point).

For not extremely white or not extremely black subjects you can trust the incident reading "as is"*.

Fabrizio

* And I do continue thinking that 2F/2F is basically right on how to use the incident light meter.