Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
I was wondering if it's a good idea to use 2 florescent lights (instead of warm lights) at 45 degrees to light the oil painting? Does the color of the light make a difference besides the white balance?
It depends on how accurate you want the color (and the relationships between the colors) to be. The print reflects back based on what color light impinges on it. It can't make light, so it can only reflect what's actually there.

And all discharge lamps, be they fluorescent, LED, HMI, LPS, etc. all have a fairly spiky spectrum, as opposed to sunlight (or even tungsten lights). Fluorescents and LEDs in particular tend to have large green spikes.

So yes, the "color of the light" does indeed make a difference besides the white balance. The "best" light for color critical applications is north facing sunlight on a cloudless day. Next best thing I've found is a 4700K Solux bulb. The next level down in light quality is a highly corrected (six or seven phosphor) fluorescent designed for photo or color reproduction work -- around 5000-5600K, and a CRI of 93+. If you are worried about getting the individual colors right, and the relationships between the colors right, I wouldn't go any lower than this.