Quote Originally Posted by jford View Post
Ask him whether he's a director of photography, an art director, a lighting designer or a photographer. His work ends up being confused if you ask me. I agree with Tony; I waver between enjoying the scale and the effort involved in creating a single image, and then being completely put off by the over-worked result. He's kind of like Cindy Sherman except with less cultural weight behind him.

John.
He is described on various high art web sites as a ("more or less" in one case) conceptual photographer. Conceptual art broadly viewed does engender disagreements among viewers, especially when it involves a crew of assistants butchering cows and sharks.

One show description did raise my interest, I always wanted to order folk around like this:

"Gregory Crewdson's new series of staged photographs, "Twilight" (1998-99, all Untitled), shows a suburbia run amok. People who can't take the subway to work grow obsessed with the underground, tunneling holes in their living rooms or digging gardens there. Or else they look up at the sky, from whence falls light--whether from the local traffic copter or from a tuneful spaceship out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, we are not told. Look out your window in Crewdson's Lot and you'll see your pregnant neighbor alone in the street, stripped to her undies to take the cool evening air on her skin. Peek into a garage and you might find a woman building a pyre of flowers higher "