I have a similar restoration under way. I have stripped all the small parts from all the affected parts. I tried a mixture of white vinegar and baking soda to soften the oxidation up then took to it with small wire brushes about the size of a large toothbrush that I got from a $2 shop. I am yet to finish but will use polishing tools on my dremmel rotary tool to really clean it up before refinishing. It is looking really good even at this stage, even though I have just used a little permanent marker refill ink to colour it up in the meantime (antique dealers trick). When I get around to it I will do a proper spray finish - Rick's suggestion sounds like a good one.