hi shnitz

i can't suggest what kind of camera, but
it looks to me to be what is sometimes called a "top hat lensboard"
used because the camera didn't have enough bellows to use the lens.
maybe the lens was used to do macro photography and this board allowed
for 1:1 or larger reproduction.

have fun with your new lens !