I'm with worker 11811 about the reel-in-stabilizer issue. My first attempt was to open the reel and let the film fall (actually "splash") on the stabilizer bath. The film tends to whirl and you have to use some prongs to separate it and be sure it is souped correctly. Besides, you have final bath everywhere...

I now just put the entire reel with the film inside in the stabilizer bath. I agitate it very gently for 30 seconds or so and then let it sit there for a couple of minutes (that's overkill, but nobody actually gets killed, so I do it).

Then I open the reel while keeping it horizontal, take the upper half of the reel away while keeping the film still orderly spooled on the lower half of the reel, in my left hand. Then with my right hand I take the upper film clip and snap it to the free outer edge of the film. I then proceed to slowly raise the film and hang it to my film dryer. Finally I attach the lower (leaded) film clip. This procedure allows me to hang the film without touching it with anything.

After this I immediately rinse the reels with hot water. If some chemical residue builds in a few years, I now know it is something that can be cleaned with an energetic wash. E.g. a wash in the dishwasher, the dishwasher soap being pretty much aggressive, would certainly deal with any deposit for which one would not call an exorcist. After the dishwasher treatment I would add a hot-water wash.

When I bought my second-hand reels they had a different colours than they have now. An old toothbrush and some dish soap and hot water made a big difference.

So my idea is: forget what they say about final bath building deposits; use your reels to minimize hand contact with film; rinse the reels immediately with hot water; if there is some deposit after many, many rolls, there's no dirt which cannot be washed away.