Quote Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
Skipped biology class today because I was so excited that I finally got the film this morning and of course I wanted to shoot at least one sheet of it. Took me a few minutes to get the film loaded into the holder. Went outside with the camera, took the shot, and went back into the darkroom and developed. The shot was shot at 1/30th, f/11, ISO 100. I pre soaked for 1 minute, developed for 5 minutes using HC-110 dilution B with agitation by lifting the tray every 15 seconds, water as a stop bath, and 20 minutes in the fixer. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I just need to be more careful handling the film because there are permanent finger prints all over the left side of the image. Maybe I'll look into getting some gloves. I scanned the photo at 2400 dpi after it was dry and I was AMAZED at the level of detail that a 4x5 negative holds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronmi...in/photostream
Not bad, not bad at all! To answer your earlier question, I'm careful about the freshness of my D-76 because T-max films get unpredictably wonky with partially oxidized developer. That said, "fresh" D-76 is what's in my darkroom and what I use for all my film... because it's what I have! I use Arista.edu and Ilford in 8x10 and Arista.edu in 5x7. Depending on exposure, etc. I'll either use D-76 or PMK Pyro with these films. Sorry that I can't help you with how partially oxidized D-76 works with Arista or other films.

Regarding your fingerprints; yes, gloves will help. Keep in mind that Arista.edu is a relatively soft film in that the emulsion doesn't have hardeners in it like Kodak or Ilford film does. Especially at elevated temperatures (greater than 70 deg. F.) it easily takes fingerprints. You really have to learn to handle it by the edges and don't drop it!

Mike