Well, I've made a little progress. The bellows are almost on, I've picked up a couple of lenses, and the lens boards are ready to go. So now I'm starting to think about the backside.

Feel free to tell me if you think this is a stupid idea.

A few weeks ago I had a chance to play with an old wooden folder where the rotating back was held on by the four pins, and spring clips that slipped over the pins. I was impressed with how easily the back went on and off.

So I'm thinking, this is easier than inserting a film holder in a spring back. Here's the idea. No spring back, no traditional film holders. The ground glass just comes off after focusing. (I'm planing on some sort of Plexiglas for breakage issues.)

Then build a few double sided film holders that attach to the same pins that hold on the ground glass frame. I've got an idea in my head that should be rather easy to do. The film holders are basically 16 1/2 inches square, with magnetic masks to hold the film in place. They could be used to hold any size sheet film, with just a mask change. I should be able to almost hold 14x17, with 11x14 being the intended size. And they should be easier to load than standard holders. They would be a touch thicker, and of course larger than standard holders.

So what do you all think?