Still color negative film itself has a huge dynamic range. Even b/w negative film does. I would say based on experience that with skilled exposure, development, and printing, 14 stops can be squeezed onto the paper from a b/w neg. without even having to be an exceptionally skilled printer.

I would guess that the "14 stop" statement that you have been hearing refers to how many of those stops can actually be squeezed into a scan, or the print films currently in existence. (Though who does analog editing and goes straight to print films now? So it must refer to scanning.)

I think the dynamic range of some still films themselves must be at least 16 stops. I guess this because if you have a fairly common 10 stop brightness range that falls perfectly into place from maximum black to paper white onto your photo paper without manipulation, and your negative can print fairly normally at up to six stops overexposed (as tested by Photo Engineer here on APUG), it would seem to state that the film itself has a dynamic range of 16 stops before you start compressing the high tones severely enough to have second thoughts about the usefulness of the negative.

So, the film itself has extraordinary dynamic range. Again, the problem, and what really matters, is not how much the film can capture; it is getting it all onto the paper. To pull all of that range out of the neg and onto the paper, you are going to have to do some heavy manipulation in printing, which is more involved and more difficult with color than with b/w. With b/w, most photographers without much experience can overexpose and pull back a negative very easily to get at least two stops reined in; you can get even more if you resort to more involved methods. Then, in printing, most can easily burn another stop or more. Those who are good at burning can easily get more than that. Then, add in what can be done with masking by those so inclined and able. With color, however, you only have burning and masking, and 1/2 stop of pulling, so it is harder to squeeze all that range onto the paper at the "amateur" level of printing skill.

In other words, the way I see it, negative film has so much dynamic range that the cases in which it, and not ones own printing ability, is going to limit one are few and far between. In other words, shoot away, and practice digging that dynamic range out of the negative and onto the paper, as opposed to worrying about the gruesome technical details of the material.